Understanding the getParameterPosterior method in a calibration setting - the dirac case

Hello

I’ve had some trouble using and understanding the method getParameterPosterior when called over a a calibration object. I don’t understand when is it supposed to returns a Dirac distribution and when it is supposed to return a non degenerated distribution.

For instance I used it over an GaussianNonLinearCalibration object and it’s returned a Dirac distribution (whereas i was expecting it to return a a Gaussian distribution).

Regards

Hi,

You are using an old version of OT (probably 1.15). There was a bug in the calibration algorithms: it returned a Dirac (ie a Normal with zero variance) distribution instead of a Normal with very large variance (ie an improper uniform measure over R). It has been fixed in OT 1.16, please update your version of OT.

Cheers

Régis

thank you Regis

I’ve just updated my OT to the 1.17 but unfortunately the problem still persists

sanaa

Can you share a script or a notebook? There is no reference to Dirac in the whole calibration sub-directory of the C++ sources, so I don’t see how it can pop up in your scripts!

Cheers

Régis

i am gonna try to build a runable example
here is my code, which calls an external code that is wrapped in the ParametricPrior :

sigma = ot.CovarianceMatrix(1, [0.01])
sigma_obs = 0.01
errObs = ot.CovarianceMatrix(np.identity(populationObservationsVector.getDimension())*sigma_obs )
algo3 = ot.GaussianNonLinearCalibration(ParametricPrior, 
                                        [[]], 
                                        populationObservationsVector, 
                                        fcPrior,
                                        sigma,
                                        errObs)
algo3.run()
calibrationResult3 = algo3.getResult()

fcPosterior3 = calibrationResult3.getParameterPosterior()

hello
here is a runnable example
logistic_calage.py (4.9 KB)

thank you so much Regis !

Ok I see what is going on. You are using GaussianNonLinearCalibration with a posterior distribution computed by bootstrap, which triggers a call to KernelSmoothing to build the posterior distribution based on the bootstrap sample. As all the values are equal in this sample, KernelSmoothing returns a Dirac distribution. So you have to check why the bootstrap sample is constant if you are not happy with a Dirac distribution. Another thing to test is to use the Laplace approximation, which is done by deactivating the bootstrap estimation:

ot.ResourceMap.SetAsUnsignedInteger("GaussianNonLinearCalibration-BootstrapSize", 0)

By default the size is 100 and the parameter posterior is obtained by bootstrap+kernel smoothing.

Cheers

Régis

Thank you Régis, I’ve stopped having dirac distributions by using your idea, and i have instead a gaussian posterior whose variance seems to be consistent with the physics of the problem

i still need to dig into what is being implemented in OT to get a better understanding. especially, i don’t get why i kept having diracs even when specifying my calibration problem with very large prior and/or observation variances.

thanks again for your help!!
sanaa

I answered your post before to see your script. I better understand your problem: you have a unique point in your sample, of dimension 24! So each time you generate a bootstrap sample you get the exact same point (it is unique) and the resulting parameter estimate is constant, hence the Dirac distribution. Either you find a way to express your problem in terms of a sample of larger size, or you use the Laplace approximation. I think I should add either a warning or an exception in the code when the user ask for a bootstrap estimation of the distribution and the underlying observation sample is of size 1.

Cheers

Régis

I think that the formulation of the problem is wrong: you should consider a model which takes (t,a,b) to return y and you should calibrate this model based on a sample of size 22. This way you have access to the bootstrap estimate of the distribution. The use of functool makes the code a little bit obfuscated to me so I cannot make the change past the new definition of the model:

def logisticModel(X):
    print([X[i] for i in range(0,len(X))])

t = [X[0]]
    a = X[1]
    c = X[2]
    t0 = 1790.
    y0 = 3.9e6
    b = np.exp(c)
    y = [0.0] * nbdates
    for i in range(nbdates):
        y[i] = a*y0/(b*y0+(a-b*y0)*np.exp(-a*(t[i]-t0)))
    z = [yi/1.e6 for yi in y] # Convert into millions
    return z

Try it if you can and tell me if it works better. IMO the example in the documentation should be changed too.

Cheers

Régis

well, i had to go this way because otherwise i was confronted with the other problem of having OT calculates the gradient by finite differences over all the input variables . with my implementation i ensured that finite differences were calculated only over the parameters to be calibrated, with no useless calls to the code (my code is a bit costly, takes about a minute to finish )

but yes if this skews the ensuing calculations i should probably think of something else. your suggestion sounds good because it would mean that a finite difference calculation is done over only one useless dimension (t) while preserving the consistency of the ensuing calculations

thanks for your help!
sanaa

hi Sanaa, are you on linux ? if so you can already use the nightly pip packages